Saturday, June 18, 2011

Spring-into-summer green





It's that time of year when the greens you so carefully nurtured on your sunny windowsill in February are bolting and heading to seed.  Tomatoes are little green nubbins on their plants, and the Art Deco-looking garlic scapes are pleading with you to use them in stir-fries and egg dishes.  In our yard, it's the utter definition of "Eating Green" since everything ready to eat right now comes in shades of that color.  Except for the two Thai Dragon peppers that came from the over-wintered plant; those are miniscule pops of red on the cutting board.

The greens in the bag above are from the mustard plants I started in the house this year.  I don't know yet what I'll do with them, but whatever it is I'm already looking forward to it!  Tonight's dinner comes from our yard, the Braintree Farmer's Market, and our CSA share.  It will be a stir-fry of radishes, snow peas, English peas, garlic scapes, scallions, those Thai Dragon peppers, and a mix of small "braising" greens like bok choy, mizuna, and red kale.  I don't know if I'll add some chopped rotisserie chicken or not; we might not need it. 

Throw in some ginger, soy sauce, lemon verbena and sesame oil to taste, and some cilantro and Thai basil if you have it. Served over Basmati rice, I think this is the epitome of fresh, spring eating.  

Well, until I get some fresh asparagus tomorrow, anyway.

No comments: