Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sauce that would make shoe leather taste good

But we had it with pork chops.  We picked up two of those at the farmers' market on Sunday, too, along with some asparagus (that stuff just makes me happy) and those were dinner tonight.  I wasn't sure what to do with the chops tonight, but I wanted to do more than just grill them.  I surfed through some of the Rachael Ray cookbooks I have (she does yummy things with pork chops) and found this sauce.  I goofed, and didn't read the recipe all the way through, so I added butter to the sauce.  The butter was for the other part of the recipe, but, um...yeah. I'd make this sauce the exact same way next time.

Orange-Rosemary Sauce
from Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats

zest and juice of a naval orange
3 tbsp brown sugar
2 rosemary sprigs, stripped and chopped; about 1 tablespoon (I went a little lighter)
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I used 1/4)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tbsp butter  (You could leave this out.  But I wouldn't.)

1.  Add all ingredients except butter to a medium saucepan; bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced by half.
2.  Stir in butter, and reduce for another 2-3 minutes.  Use to baste pork chops or chicken (or shoe leather).

No comments: