Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Bacon-y Love Story

Around this house, love is spelled B-R-E-A-K-F-A-S-T.  True love is spelled B-A-C-O-N.  So while I'm cooking with a little less meat, celebrating Valentine's Day without bacon might cause my husband to think that I don't love him anymore.  We can't have that, now can we?

Valentine's dinner was breakfast, with bacon and a healthy spin.  I was surprised at first by the pairing of eggs and lentils, but the yolk flowing over the lentil "stew" was one brilliant combination of earthy and silky.  The vinegar gave it a bare hint of tang, and I like tomatoes in anything.  I'd serve it again for breakfast, lunch or dinner. 

The Parmesan Popovers I served with dinner are a Cooking Light recipe from 2010.

Here's the link to the recipe I used.  It was easily halved for the two of us.  (I have to say that cooking has vastly improved some of my math skills.  I'm still not hopeful about geometry, though.)
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sunny-Side-Up-Lentil-Salad-363770

No comments: